News and Updates on Observer Programs
Your assistance is greatly appreciated in alerting us to broken links, updated websites, and news events. We depend on observers and observer program managers to let us know the latest news in their programs. Thank you!
AFMA (Australia Fisheries Management Authority) Observer Program
- Fisheries Site of the Ministry for Primary Industries
- Summer Observer Programme
- Inshore Observer Program 2013/2014 Final Plan
- Summary of comments received about inshore OP
- POPA Azores Fisheries Observers Programme
- NPGOP Restructured Observer Program Information
- NPGOP Training and Briefing Schedule
- Federal Fisheries Regulations
- OAC - North Pacific Fisheries Management Council's Observer Advisory Committee
- September 2013: OAC meeting, Seattle, Washington - Agenda; Meeting Report; Documents presented: Draft 2014 ADP (Annual Deployment Plan for observer coverage) and Power Point presentation;National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) response to the North Pacific Council's June request for information on electronic monitoring (EM), ADP, and Annual Performance Review (APR) in June; NMFS letter to the NP Council, backing down on their sampling design by allowing vessels participating in EM (Electronic Monitoring) Pilot Project to forgo observer coverage. These last two topics were only briefly discussed. A more thorough discussion will occur at the October Council meeting. Also Dan Falvey from the Alaska Longline Fishermen's Association (ALFA) wanted to discuss his Experimental Fishing Permit but had little detail and it was not on the agenda, so this was tabled for a later time.
- June 2012: North Pacific: NMFS proposed rule on the restructured program: APO comments; See what others said about the restructured program.
- April 2013: Alaska's Senator Murkowski bullying NMFS about EM. She concedes that she "...needs a little more information...". OAC Observer Representative, Joseph Rehfuss, sent a letter to the OAC in April in response to NMFS' EM Strategic Plan (draft, April 2013) showing the percentage of observer duties that EM is capable of.
- ADFG Groundfish Observer Regulations (State)
- ADFG Shellfish Observer Program Regulations (Crab and Scallops)
- September 2013: ADFG Notice announcing 2013/2014 crab observer program and vessel registration requirements (with ADFG Shellfish Observer Coordinator contact information). Saltwater, Inc. (SWI) is the observer contractor and training is occurring this month. The 2012-2013 SWI/Observer Union Contract for observers is here. This is for Alaska groundfish and ADFG shellfish observers.
Southeast Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico
Western, Central and South Pacific Ocean
- Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC) Regional Observer Programme (ROP)
- Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA)
- Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC)
- Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA) - the parties to this agreement are the island nations of Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu
- Phillipines Observer Program
West Africa Observer Program
NOAA (United States) has been partnering with West African nations to assist them in the formation of their national observer programs. Please see NOAA's website on these efforts.
- Liberia Observer Program
- West African Observer Manual
- West African Regional Scientific Observer Training Manual